What is Baptism?
Baptism is one explicit instruction (sacrament) that Jesus gave to His followers. At Pacific Christian Center, believers are baptized by immersion in water. Water baptism does not "save" you, only God's grace does through your personal faith in Jesus. Following salvation, the practice of baptism in water is a public testimony to the world signifying the death of an individual's sinful nature, and one's new birth in Jesus Christ.
What is the meaning of Water Baptism?
- It illustrates Christ's death, burial and resurrection. "Christ died for our sins...He was buried...and He rose again." (1 Corinthians 15:3-4) "For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ." (Colossians 2:12)
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian. "When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" (2 Corinthians 5:17) "By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead...so that we may live a new life!" (Romans 6:4)
- Baptism doesn't make you a Christian. Only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - It's the outward sign of the commitment you have made in your heart. (See Ephesians 2:8-9)
Who should be Baptized?
Every person who has believed in Christ. A believer is someone who has realized that their sin separated them from God. They have given up all efforts to reach God through good works or religious activity. They have concluded that Jesus Christ's death on the cross for their sins is the only thing that can bridge the gap between them and God. A Believer is someone who has decided to trust Christ alone for their salvation. If you have come to this point in your spiritual journey, then you are ready to be baptized. (Acts 4:41; 8:12-13)
Why should I be Baptized?
- To follow the example set by Christ. "At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river." (Mark 1:9)
- Because Jesus commanded it. "Jesus said, 'Go then, to all people everywhere and make the my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything that I have commanded you.'" (Matthew 28:19-20)
- It demonstrates that I am really a Believer. "We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands." (1 John 2:3)
When should I be Baptized?
As soon as you have believed. "Those who believed were baptized that day!" (Acts 2:4) "Then Philip began with the scripture and told him the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water, and the man said, 'Look, here is water! Why shouldn't I be baptized right now?' Philip said, 'If you believe with all your heart, you may.' The man answered, 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.' So they went down into the water and Philip baptized him." (Acts 8:35-38)
The time is now...
Baptism Signup Form
The Bible says that all professing Christians should be baptized (Matthew 28:18-20). Whether you've been following Jesus for a long time and never got baptized or are a new Christian, we would be honored to baptize you!